Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Virtual (MS Teams)

Contact: Sarah MacDonald  Email: democratic.services@iow.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

46.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 313 KB

To confirm as a true record the Record of Decision of the meeting held on 11 February 2021.

Minutes:

RESOLVED:

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 11 February 2021 be agreed.

47.

Declarations of Interest

To invite Members to declare any interest they might have in the matters on the agenda.

Minutes:

Councillor Whittle declared an interest in Item No.7 – Disposal of Ryde Harbour and Adjoining Land, as he was the local member for the area and also a member of Ryde Town Council.

48.

Public Question Time - Maximum 15 Minutes pdf icon PDF 10 KB

Questions must be put including the name and address of the questioner by delivery in writing or by electronic mail to Democratic Services at democratic.services@iow.gov.uk, no later than two clear working days before the start of the meeting. Therefore the deadline for written questions will be 8 March 2021.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

A question was received from Mark Voller of Sandown (PQ 28-21) relating to the monitoring and oversight of tree work on the Island. The Cabinet member for Environment and Heritage provided a response.

 

A question was received from Bob Blezzard of Sandown (PQ 29-21) relating to the Local Council Tax Support Grant. The Cabinet member for Corporate resources provided a response.

 

49.

Chairman's Announcements

Minutes:

The Chairman expressed his disappointment that an election candidate had used a photograph of him and another councillor together in his campaign leaflets without the Chairman’s permission. It was taken before the COVID restrictions but there was no statement to explain this. The Chairman was seeking an apology and was considering referring the matter to the Electoral Commission for guidance, as all candidates should be treated with dignity and respect.

 

Progress was being made with engagement with the MHCLG on the Island Deal. A positive approach had been taken by all parties. Briefings he had received indicated that it could have a positive outcome for the Island. Members would be updated as soon as more information was received.

 

The Chairman invited the Chairman of the Corporate Scrutiny Committee to comment on the Outcomes and Recommendations from the recent meeting on 9 March. The Chairman of Corporate Scrutiny expressed frustration that they had not been able to delve deeper into the floating bridge issue, and referred to a document called LGA Councillors’ Guide to Procurement (2013) which was pertinent at the time of the ordering of the floating bridge. The Cabinet Member for Environment and Heritage also recommended that members involved in procurement should familiarise themselves with the document.

 

50.

Isle of Wight Infrastructure Investment Plan pdf icon PDF 795 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

To approve the Island Investment Plan (Appendix 1) as the basis for funding applications to government to assist with Island regeneration and recovery and require annual reports on progress with its implementation.

Minutes:

The Cabinet member for Regeneration and Business Development gave a summary of the report and the progress of the Regeneration Strategy over the previous three years, highlighting some of the successes to date. The Investment Plan set out the overall investment required to push further projects through to delivery and would form the basis of further funding applications to government for these projects. There was currently a lot of work being done to attract funding.

51.

Disposal of Sandown Civic Centre/Barracks to NHS pdf icon PDF 255 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

Option 1 - Agree to the disposal of the Civic Centre/Barracks to the Isle of Wight NHS for the provision of a community hub with the final details of the disposal to be agreed by the director of regeneration in consultation with the cabinet member. 

 

Minutes:

The Council had been approached by the NHS to purchase the freehold of the currently unused Barrack Block at Sandown Civic Centre, with funding from NHSE & I to provide a community health hub for the Bay area. Some council services would continue to operate from there with e ‘One Public Service’ approach. Members very much welcomed the investment into the building and were pleased to see it being brought back into use.

 

The Corporate Scrutiny Committee had noted the report.

52.

Disposal of Ryde Harbour and Adjoining land pdf icon PDF 448 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

That  Ryde Town Council are treated as a special purchaser for Ryde Harbour and the two parcels of land and the hospitality suite as detailed in their business subject to:

 

  1. An independent section 123 valuation of all of the land proposed to be transferred to Ryde Town Council; each party to fund 50 percent of the costs of the valuation.

 

  1. There being no material objections to the disposal of the land parcels following advertisements placed in accordance with section 123(2A) of the Local Government Act 1972c.

 

  1. Confirmation of how the anticipated loss of budgeted income of up to £11,166 per annum is to be accommodated within the council’s overall revenue budget.

 

Minutes:

Cllr Whittle withdrew from the meeting for this item.

 

The Cabinet Member for Corporate Resources confirmed that, although the report made references to Ventnor Harbour, this would be the subject of a separate report and the decision was to consider the disposal of Ryde harbour only. Ryde Town Council had asked to be considered a special purchaser and it had been a lengthy process.

 

The Corporate Scrutiny Committee had noted the report.

 

To comply with statutory requirements, an amendment was made to the wording of the proposed recommendation.

53.

Dinosaur Isle – update on competitive dialogue and options to progress pdf icon PDF 263 KB

Decision:

Option 2 - Undertake a review and assessment of the ITT to better understand the viability issues, in order to ensure the procurement process can properly consider the full range of development and investment opportunities to meet the broad objectives of the council. Officers will report back to the Cabinet with a detailed report of their findings and recommendations at the earliest opportunity (anticipated in June 2021).

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Business Development gave a summary of the report, which provided an update on the procurement process. The focus had been on securing the future of Dinosaur isle and major investment in the site however progress had been slowed down by the COVID pandemic. The council wished to achieve the best possible outcome.

 

Some members expressed disappointment that the process was not further forward and that the media had interpreted this negatively but welcomed investment into the Bay area. Confirmation was given that the PLUTO and other heritage assets in the area would be protected, and that as soon as possible the successful bidder would undertake a public consultation on the proposed plans for the site.

 

The Cabinet Member explained that the investor wished to invest more than the original bidder and that dialogue with them was very positive. Subject to the result of successful conclusion of ongoing dialogue, it was hoped that the facility would be open by April 2023.

54.

Cabinet Member Announcements

To invite Cabinet Members to provide a brief update on matters concerning their portfolio.

Minutes:

Several members gave an update on activities within their portfolios.

 

In Children’s Services, it had been business as usual throughout the pandemic. Within schools, tests, coursework and mock exams indicated that results would be good this year. The Connect4Communities scheme had ben successful and had provided free school meals and play schemes in the school holidays, and further funding had been received which would provide similar facilities in the Easter holidays, as well as helping young carers, care leavers and early years settings.  More government money was expected to be used after easter and bidders to operate a scheme were being sought.

The delegated decision on SEN banding had now been taken. Physical Ofsted inspections had been suspended during the lockdown but virtual visits had taken place. The three secondary schools previously not rated ‘good’ had shown improvements and it was hoped they would all receive a ‘good’ rating when physical inspections resumed. The Cabinet member thanked the Children’s Services team for the help given to him over the previous four years.

 

Environment and Waste – there were now 9962 green waste subscriptions, with the deadline being 19 March. Fly tipping and littering had increased on the island with 525 fly tips being reported in the past year. and a co-ordinated approach was needed to tackle the problem. It was proposed that a task and finish group be set up with senior officers and cross-party members., with a strategy and action plan being developed. It was suggested that this be put on the workplan for the Policy and Scrutiny Committee for Neighbourhoods and Regeneration and possibly included within the Climate Strategy currently being produced.

 

It was a year since the first lockdown had started and the effect on homelessness and mental health was highlighted. The Cabinet member thanked all front line workers for all they had done over the past year.

 

The Community Safety Team were planning for recovery and enabling businesses to reopen when permitted. COVID officers had attended outside schools following their reopening to ensure COVID safety, and this was working well. There had been some parking issues caused by the increase in home delivery services and officers were looking into what could be done to address the issues. Officers were also working on the ‘dogs on beaches’ issue and gathering opinions to review the current measures prior to the summer season. The Le Blanc event was to take place from 17-19 September 2021 and would be based in Ventnor. The Michelin starred chef Claude Bossey would be attending. There would be benefits to the island and Island produce would be promoted, with lots of media attention. The Cabinet member expressed his thanks to the team.

 

Phase 2 of the Newport Traffic Plan had commenced, with works starting at St George’s Way. It was hoped that the works would be completed by the end of July 2021.

 

The Chairman reported that keeping the community safe, economic recovery and financial stability were going in the right direction and he  ...  view the full minutes text for item 54.

55.

Consideration of the Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 259 KB

Cabinet Members to identify decisions which need to be amended, added or to be removed from the Forward Plan.

Minutes:

Members considered the Forward Plan and noted that there was one more Delegated Decision to be made prior to the forthcoming elections.

56.

Members' Question Time

A question must be submitted in writing or by electronic mail to Democratic Services no later than Tuesday 9 March 2021.

Minutes:

Cllr Peacey-Wilcox indicated that she wished to ask a question, however as it had not been submitted in writing in advance, the Chairman advised that she should send her question direct to the relevant Cabinet member and would receive a written response.

57.

Exclusion of Public and Press

To consider passing a resolution that, under Regulation 4(2)(b) of the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business, namely agenda item 13, on the grounds that there is likely to be disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act and in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

Minutes:

To pass a resolution that, under regulation 4(2)(b) of the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business, namely Agenda item 13 on the grounds that there is likely to be disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part I of Schedule 12A of the Act (information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person)

 

Agenda item 14 on the grounds that there is likely to be disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1 and 3 of Part I of Schedule 12A of the Act (information relating to the identity of any individual and information relating to the financial or business affairs  of any particular person)

 

and in all the circumstances of the cases, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.  

 

58.

Proposal for joint working with the Ministry of Justice to secure investment in improvements in and maintenance of land at Parkhurst Estate Newport pdf icon PDF 384 KB

Additional documents:

Decision:

That further negotiations with the Ministry of Justice be undertaken, with a view to the acquisition of the relevant land on acceptable terms.

 

Minutes:

After a lengthy discussion, members believed that further confirmation about how the most significant risks associated with the proposal would be appropriately mitigated in the terms proposed, with the final decision being taken by the Director of Regeneration and Director of Finance, together with the Cabinet members for Regeneration and Business Development, Corporate Resources and Infrastructure and Transport. The wording of the recommendation was amended from that in the report.

 

59.

Consideration of and decision on the report of the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman dated 21 January 2021

Under regulation 4(2)(a) of the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012 the public must be excluded during this part of the meeting whenever it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the public were present during the item, confidential information would be disclosed to them in breach of an obligation of confidence. The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman report has been supplied under an obligation of confidence and has required their report to be kept confidential until the LGSCO publishes on their website.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

(Option A): That the Cabinet adopts the report from the Director of Children’s Services as the Cabinet’s section 5A (8) report, and endorses the response from Children’s Services to address the findings and to implement all the recommendations of the LGSCO,

 

That the Cabinet notes that all members of the local authority and the Monitoring Officer will be provided in confidence with a copy of the Cabinet’s prepared section 5A (8) report as soon as practicable if not already given a copy.

Minutes:

In private session the Cabinet considered the LGSCO report and the response from Children’s Services, following a complaint made to the local authority in August 2018 relating to personal budgets.

 

The findings of the LGSCO were detailed within the report and appendices, along with actions taken to date.

 

The Council had accepted the findings and agreed to implement the recommendations, all of which had either been completed or were in training.

 

At the request of the Corporate Scrutiny Committee a report had been produced which showed that 90 per cent of complaints were resolved at Stage 1. The Committee had been satisfied with the procedure.

 

The Chairman thanked the Director of Children’s Services and his team for their support to the Cabinet Member.